Wednesday, October 13, 2010


Wednesday 13th October 2010

Sleep? I think not! I wish I could. Our Ger was really cosy but to make sure we didn't wake up freezing we had to keep the stove going all night. It was pitch black and we had hung the torch by the door in case anyone was desperate enough to brave minus 7 and go to the toilet. The stove was in the middle of the room and it would have been a trifle unfortunate to walk into it. As far as I was concerned it was a case of feeling my way round the sides until I came to the door then putting the torch on. On all 3 occasions I got up to tend to the stove Donnie woke and took over so I didn't have to braille it back to my bed. Suffice to say it was still cosy in the morning.

After breakfast Donnie and I decided to climb the hill behind the camp.
I couldn't understand why I was quite so breathless until John told me that we were at 5000ft altitude before climbing the hill. I was well impressed with myself - even if I won't be able to get out of bed in the morning!

We had arranged to be picked up for the airport at 11.00. That was another adventure. It was a tiny car with 2 steamer trunks and one large suitcase plus my small hodall in the boot. 3 of us in the back with rucksacks on our knees. John was in the front with the driver's 3 year old on his knee. Roads in Mongolia are not roads as we know them Jim. At one point there were roadworks and the guy in front of us just went off the road and drove along the rough bare earth. We did pass him leaning at a crazy angle in the roadside ditch whilst trying to get back on to the road.

At another point we passed a man with an eagle on his arm - obviously a tourist trap but as we are tourists.....We got lots of photos. Cath was brave and held it. I would rather climb a mountain!

After a hairy ride, not for the faint hearted we got to our hotel. It is typical of the old station hotels in the uk. Huge rooms and a bit old fashioned.

We dumped our gear and headed out. It was lunchtime so we stopped in a "restaurant". They had beer but all the food we ordered, or tried to order, was unavailable. We ended up with chips each.

Next was SHOPPING. Pleased with our buys we went back to the hotel to celebrate with a bottle of wine we happened to see while looking for snacks for the train.

Dinner at the Korean restaurant in the hotel. Early bed before a 5.30 wake up.

I tried to post some photes but obviously I was a poor student to Graham's tutoring. Will try to sort it out when I have more time.


  1. Never mind every day being a new adventure, sounds like every hour is! Sounds like an amazing time is being had all round. Love to all!

  2. sounds a wonderful journey. you are doing a great job,sis, at keeping us all up to date.

  3. Yes you are keeping us entertained.
    Love maggie and mick

  4. I'm still trying to work out why you were going to the airport?

    The steamer trunks tickle me immensely: I keep thinking of The Tourist in the start of Terry Pratchett's Discworld series.